You will face this tremendous internal conflict when preparing with your driving school for your big ICBC test day. The scene is Granville bridge, currently under construction with posted speed maximums at 30 km/hr.
Let me set the stage first with the facts:
- Your driving test is five days from today.
- You have driven for several years on your learner’s license plus many years in your home country.
- You are paying money for driving lessons with a driving school.
- You pay your driving instructor to help you learn all the requirements ICBC needs you to perform.
- You understand that speed is the most significant cause of failure.
- You also know that speed is the most significant factor in car crashes.
You carry with you your beliefs:
- YOU ARE GOING TOO SLOW!
- YOU ARE SLOWING EVERYONE DOWN!
- WHAT’S WRONG WITH YOU!
- YOU ARE VERY DANGEROUS!
- SPEED UP!
The spoken word seems to be the closest expression of our thoughts, so let’s listen to new driver conversations as they attempt to drive across the bridge legally.
“Oh Sh… I just saw that posted 30 sign. Are you telling me that there were two previously posted 30 signs that I missed?”
“Oh OH, I am so so sorry, Mr. Car Driver behind me! So sorry I am blocking you from crossing this bridge and destroying your day!”
“Gosh! You are kidding me! This is so slow! This cannot be right! Who invented these signs, and why are they making me go so slow here!”
“This is ridiculous! They don’t really expect me to do 30 the entire way across the bridge! Do they?”
“What! This is pure torture. The people behind me are freaking right out! I don’t think this is safe at all!”
“Ok, I see the point, but I need to change lanes now, so it’s ok for me to go over the limit to make the lane change, right?”
“Come on COOPER, this is impossible. You don’t do this when you are alone in your car, right? Come on, tell me the truth!”
“Going with the flow is safe. This is NOT SAFE AT ALL!”
“Why is everyone going so much faster than me?”
HOW TO WIN IN 30 km/hr ZONES
- Search for white and black signs, because they are the law.
- 1500 kg car moving at 30 km/hr is a huge power when banging into a child.
- A 30km/hr sign states the maximum speed you can travel, under ideal conditions! This may well be too fast when close to a person or child.
- A bright orange construction sign means danger for workers standing close to traffic.
- This is absolutely the wrong time to be in a hurry.
Comments are closed